Monday, February 22, 2010

Summa, Summa, Summatime!





We didn't do a lot last summer because I was too sick to care if anyone even got dressed but here is a little re-cap of some of the highlights:


Summer just wouldn't be summer without.....


SNOW CONES.....








Maile bought a snow cone maker with her birthday money and it was a huge hit! Anytime any of the neighbor kids came to play she insisted on helping them cool off with one of her delicious snow cones. The only draw back is the mess which didn't affect her just me. :)


A PEDICURE....







Don't ask me why this child insists on being naked!!! I am just hoping that she has out grown the phase and will decide to keep it covered up in the summers to come. One day I caught her red handed and naked with all of the fingernail polish out. She looks like she knows what she's doing but I sure am happy I caught her before she made too big of a mess.


PARADES...


















For the 4th of July we made it to the Riverton parade. We sat right at the start of the parade and the girls got a TON of candy! We had a good time and girls couldn't have been happier about their loot. Aren't their flowers so cute??? I thought so too, can't wait for red, white and blue to come back in season so they can wear them again. :)



A TRIP TO GRANDMA AND GRANDPA'S










Every summer we make it go Idaho to see Darin's parents. Of course it is always a complete party for the girls and Darin and I don't complain since Grandma and Grandpa insist on keeping the kids while we do whatever it is we want for the weekend. It's great to have a babysitter, one you can trust anyway. I always end up missing the girls when we go visit because they are so busy playing so hard with cousins and, let's be honest , I am busy taking advantage of the babysitter. :)


Last summer Grandpa got a new lawn mower and he let the girls take it for a test drive then gave them a ride in the trailer. They loved it! Also, on our trip to Boise we took the girls and floated the river. It was super fun. The water was like ice but everyone kept bouncing in and out of the raft (except for me). It was great fun.



A FAMILY HIKE..
















By the end of the summer I was feeling a little more like myself so we set out to do a few things that we like to do. We decided to hike Donut Hole Falls. When we got there we were surprised to see that the falls didn't resemble a donut at all. Apparently, the "donut" fell on '08. I think they should maybe change the name of it in an effort to not disappoint the patrons of the falls but whatever....the falls were still pretty and the hike was perfect for the kids. Sadly, I didn't get one picture of the falls....oops.

SUMMER LOVES....


Our good friends, the Harris', moved far, far north to Washington. We all so sad to see them go but happy to see them set out on a new adventure. Our girls are betrothed to the Harris boys so we know we will always have some contact but we sure wish we could see them more often. I guess we are just going to have to make a trip to WA!!







Savannah and Makenna stayed with their Grandpa next door for the summer. Maile and Madalyn would wake up early in the morning, move their little camping chairs to the porch and face them toward Elmo's house and wait for Savannah and Makenna to come out, that's when the party started. They would play all day back and forth until the sun went down and even then they were crying and throwing fits because they couldn't bear to be apart long enough to have a bath and to go to bed. Mai and Mad were more than heartbroken when the girls moved to Pittsburgh in August. I have a feeling they will be seeing each other again.

BUMPS, BRUISES AND SCRAPES

Our sweet Madalyn, the dare devil, nearly lost her life again on that darn hill we lived on. She decided to take a bike down Elmo's driveway (which is way steeper than ours). She didn't know how to stop and started screaming in fear. Darin heard her scream and leaped down Elmo's stairs and caught her before she really hurt herself. This was the 3rd time Darin saved Madalyn's life on this very hill. Madalyn was upset and crying and I assumed it was because she was scared until I looked down and noticed blood covering my white pants. When she realized she was out of control she drug the top of her feet to slow herself all the way down the driveway and into the street. She literally scraped the skin off of 8 of her little toes. They were like hamburger and filled with bits of gravel. It was horrible to clean and I don't think they fully healed until the fall. Anytime they would scab over she would somehow scrape it off and have to start the healing process all over. Now she has little scars on each toe. Poor thing. My favorite part about this story is that anytime we bring up this traumatic event Madalyn always pipes in to say, "my dad saved my life". And he certainly did. The thing that amazes me is that with all of the swift traffic on our street every time Madalyn barrelled out into the street on some form of wheels there was never any cars on the road.....coincidence? No, tender mercy. We are just happy someone is looking out for our sweet Pickle and that the worst of it was a set of pretty scraped up toes.



0 comments: