Saturday, January 24, 2009

TKO

On Tuesday I got a call that was a little scary. Let me start at the beginning. Tuesday is pre-school day for Maile. The last few months she has been so funny about going. Some mornings she doesn't want to go and it is a battle to get her to go. We have considered pulling her out but she says she likes it but she doesn't want to leave Madalyn and I home because she misses us. Now with Maile it is hard to know really why she is doing the things she does. She is pretty dramatic and I sometimes think there is an underlying reason she is acting the way she is. So anyway, on Tuesday I am really talking up the whole field trip to the hospital that was scheduled. She begins her whole song and dance. She says she doesn't want to go to the hospital unless I go with her. I have already gone on a field trip this year and figure I have taken my turn and want all the other moms to be able to go. Maile is insisting she doesn't want to go. We decide that I will walk Maile into her class and talk to her teacher about the hospital and if Maile then decides she wants to go she can, if not, she can come home. Just as I had thought we get there and Maile decides to go. Tammy (her teacher) and Anna (my friend) assure Maile that they will take good care of her and basically make sure Maile doesn't turn into a patient there, which was I think Maile's fear. Madalyn and I leave and do what we usually do during pre-school, head to Target.

We're hitting all of the clearance since they were doing mark downs. We had to grab one more necessity when my phone rings. I see that it is Tammy. I am not freaked out yet and figure that Maile has decided she wants me to pick her up. Not the case. Tammy tells me that Maile has passed out! She said she is fine and that one of the mom helpers is an ER nurse at that hospital and that she is going to take her to the ER and check her vitals. So I am freaking out! I am sure I am turning heads because of my frantic reaction and running, or nearly running out of the store is a little less than subtle. I finally get to the hospital after hitting EVERY red light! I am not kidding either. Maile is laying in a stroller, white as a ghost with at wash cloth on her forehead and acted a little like a zombie. She hardly reacted when I came in. Anna was with her and was very calm. She told me that she just got freaked out when they went in to the dark X-ray room. I wasn't so sure and the nurse mom helper advised me to have her really checked out. I decided to have her looked at and told Maile, who is still acting like a zombie. Maile leaps out of the stroller, screaming and crying saying she just wants to go home. After a few minutes I decide I'll just take her home and watch her closely and then decide if she needs to go in. Also, by this time Darin was leaving work and he, who thinks that I am usually too quick to take the kids in, can help me decide what we should do. So we come home and with in 5 minutes Maile is sleeping like a baby. She woke up a few hours later just like her old self.

It was the scariest thing I think I have ever experienced as a mom. All of the horrible things that run though your head were running through mine, topped with the fact that she didn't really want to go with out me and I kind of made her, and the fact that it took me nearly forever to get to the hospital, or so it seemed. I was also so grateful that all of the moms took such good care of her. She told me that Anna was being her best friend even before she fell and bonked her head. And I am even more grateful that she is OK. The irony of it all is that Maile wants to be a hospital doctor when she grows up.

3 comments:

Mikaela said...

Wow, that is scary! I'm glad she is okay, and I hope she continues to be okay. That would be SO scary. Don't be too hard on yourself for making her go without you...you can never predict what will happen in your absence!

Phipps Family said...

Oh my gosh! Poor little Maile! and poor you! I would have totally been a wreck and would have probably run a few of those red lights. And they have to grow up some time so don't worry about making her go to preschool. You're a great mom.

The Hokanson Family said...

No way! That's crazy that happened. She's such a cutie Jane.